SENTENCE TRANSFORMATION

Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it.
1. I haven’t enjoyed myself so much for years. (It’s years . . . . . )
2. ‘I’m sorry I was late’, he said. (He apologized . . . . . )
3. I haven’t seen this film before. (This is . . . . . )
4. Peter can run faster than me. (I can’t . . . . . )
5. ‘Have you done this sort of work before?’ she asked me. (She asked me if . . . . . )
6. I’m sure she didn’t do it on purpose. (She can’t . . . . . )
7. ‘You can leave early’, Mr. Benson said to Alison. (Mr. Benson let . . . . . )
8. ‘I think you should look for a better job’, Jill said to Alison. (Jill advised . . . . . )
9. ‘We will go on strike,’ the workers said. (The workers threatened . . . . . )
10. Mrs. Edwards is the owner of that car. (The car . . . . . )
11. The station clock showed half past ten. (According . . . . . )
12. ‘I wonder if she is coming,’ said Tom. (Tom wondered . . . . . )
13. Ann is good-looking and well-behaved. (Not only . . . . . )
14. English is my favorite subject. (The subject . . . . . )
15. She is not a movie star. She would like to be a movie star now. (She wishes . . . . . )
16. Because of the development of birth control, women could delay having children. (Because . . . . . )
17. I think you should tell the police about the accident. (If I . . . . . )
18. ‘Have you got any free time next week?’ Mandy asked. (Mandy asked . . . . . )
19. Six cars were stolen from car park. A teenage boy is responsible. (A teenage boy is responsible . . .)
20. It was such a cold day yesterday that I was my winter coat. (I felt . . . . . )
21. The builder is going to mend my roof tomorrow. (I . . . . . )
22. She can’t have any more children because of her age. (She is too . . . . . )
23. He failed to win the race. (He didn’t . . . . . )
24. He lost his money simply because he wasn’t careful. (If . . . . . )
25. He would prefer you to pay him immediately. (He’d rather . . . . . )
26. Our house is going to be painted by a local firm. (We are . . . . . )
27. Zuthato likes visiting old churches. (Zuthato is . . . . . )
28. Pamela became popular with young people in the 1950s. (Pamela caught . . . . . )
29. Maile was angry because his sister had broken his cassette player. (Maile was angry with . . . . . )
30. The children’s singing was really beautiful. (The children sang . . . . . )
31. At school, my reading was very slow and my writing was illegible. (I read very . . . . . )
32. As the patient was still too weak, the surgeon postponed the operation. (The surgeon put . . . . . )
33. It’s a cross-country vehicle with five doors. (It’s a five . . . . . )
34. Thomas started working for the company twelve years ago. (Thomas has . . . . . )
35. Their car is Italian. It’s big and red. (They’ve got a . . . . . )
36. I thought she bore a strong resemblance to her grandmother. (She reminded . . . . . )
37. Couldn’t you find a better hotel? (Is this . . . . . )
38. I prefer Vietnamese food to English food. (I’d . . . . . )
39. My teacher made me study for my exams. (I was . . . . . )
40. I can’t afford to buy the house. (The house . . . . . )
41. She started learning English 10 years ago. (She has . . . . . )
42. I was very busy. I couldn’t go to the cinema. (If . . . . . )
43. You will catch a cold if you don’t wear your fur coat. (Unless . . . . . )
44. Is there any likelihood of their passing the exams? (Are they likely . . . . . )
45. We haven’t received confirmation of hotel booking yet. (Our hotel booking hasn’t . . . . . )
46. He is on the fifth page of the report he’s typing. (So far he . . . . . )
47. No, please don’t tell him. (I’d prefer . . . . . )
48. My English friend finds using chopsticks difficult. (My English friend isn’t . . . . . )
49. The baby will die if nobody sends for a doctor. (Unless a doctor . . . . . )
50. You must see the rector tomorrow afternoon. (You’ve . . . . . )
51. He never expressed regret for what he had done. (At no time . . . . . )
52. As soon as I locked all the doors, the doorbell rang. (Hardly . . . . . )
53. I won’t tolerate this behaviour for a minute longer. (I won’t put . . . . . )
54. It is essential that the road be finished before next summer. (The road . . . . . )
55. Roger was sorry he ate that salad. (Roger wished . . . . . )
56. Mathematics improves the way we think, it is a basic tool of thinking. (Since mathematics . . . . . )
57. Huynh Duc plays so well that we all admire him. (He is . . . . . )
58. Women in developed countries no longer bear many children. (No longer . . . . . )
59. Safeguarding our natural resources is now a must. (It is . . . . . )
60. It’s a pity he didn’t take his doctor’s advice. (He wishes . . . . . )
61. There was a lot of traffic on the road. That’s why we were late. (Had . . . . . )
62. ‘I have been here twice, Nam,’ said Peter. (Peter told . . . . . )
63. The officer asked me whether I knew the woman. (‘Do . . . . . )
64. I have been following the course for two years. (I started . . . . . )
65. The last time it rained was three weeks ago. (It . . . . . )
66. We have a six o’clock deadline for this work. (This work . . . . . )
67. I don’t see the point of re-decorating this room. (Re-decorating . . . . . )
68. You can’t park here. It’s a restricted area. (No . . . . . )
69. I had had no experience of skiing but I quickly picked it up. (Despite my . . . . . )
70. ‘If you scream, I’ll kill you’, the terrorist said to the hostage. (The terrorist threatened . . . . . )
71. Our present financial problems will soon be a thing of he past. (We . . . . . )
72. The police started looking for the murderer two months ago. (For two months now . . . . . )
73. How old do you think this building is? (When . . . . . )
74. That car’s so expensive. I don’t think I can’t buy it. (It’s such . . . . . )
75. They made us wait for five hours. (We . . . . . )
76. She knows a lot more about it than I do. (I don’t . . . . . )
77. Excuse me! I’d like some information about the English summer course, please. (Could you . . . . . )
78. I’m always nervous when I take exams. (Taking . . . . . )
79. The article was both interesting and informative, you know. (The article was not . . . . . )
80. I’ve never heard a more amusing story than this one. (This is . . . . . )
81. I never intended to help such a man. (I never had . . . . . )
82. They decided not to go for a picnic because the weather might be bad. (For fear of . . . . . )
83. I was on the point of leaving the house when the telephone rang. (I was . . . . . )
84. Although the woman was old, she looked very graceful. (Despite . . . . . )
85. The students were so clever to see the solution to the problem very quickly. (How . . . . . )
86. The judges had never seen a prettier flowers display. (It was . . . . . )
87. The railway workers do not intend to call off their strike. (The railway workers have no . . . . . )
88. Mrs. Scott is proud of her cooking. (Mrs. Scott prides . . . . . )
89. You can try to get Tim to lend you his car but you won’t succeed. (There’s no point . . . . . )
90. John didn’t celebrate until he received the offer of promotion in writing. (Not until . . . . . )
91. I don’t really like her even though I admire her achievement. (Much . . . . . )
92. It’s thought that the accident was caused by human error. (The accident is . . . . . )
93. ‘I’ve seen the film three times, Mary’, said George. (George told . . . . . )
94. I don’t really want to visit the museum. (I’d rather . . . . . )
95. John missed the ferry because his car broke down. (If . . . . . )
96. They were unable to finish their tennis game because of a heavy shower. (A heavy shower . . . . . )
97. He never suspected that she was a witch. (At no time . . . . . )
98. Yogurt is supposed to be good for you. (Yogurt is supposed to do . . . . . )
99. Crops in low-lying area have suffered serious damage as a result of flooding. (Flooding . . . . . )
100. It’s not worth trying to make her change her mind. (There’s . . . . . )
101. I think that no city in the world is more beautiful than Paris. (I think Paris . . . . . )
102. The flight to Moscow lasted three and a half hours. (It took . . . . . )
103. He hasn’t been back to his home village for over 30 years now. (It is . . . . . )
104. Although Peter was the stronger of the two, his attacker soon overpowered him. (Despite his . . . . )
105. I’ll be happy to give you a lift. (I don’t mind . . . . . )
106. I had to spend two hours to reach the airport. (It . . . . . )
107. ‘You should go on a diet,’ the doctor said to me. (The doctor advised . . . . . )
108. It’s common knowledge that he has been in prison several times. (He is known . . . . . )
109. ‘I hate to be criticized by non-professional’, the film star said. (The film star objected . . . . )
110. She can’t get into the habit of studying every evening. (She can’t get used . . . . . )
111. I regret not paying much attention to the lecture. (I wish . . . . . )
112. Perhaps I didn’t get a better job because I didn’t study hard enough. (I might . . . . . )
113. Please don’t mention it again. (I’d rather . . . . . )
114. Ms. Quyen began teaching Chinese ten years ago. (Ms. Quyen has . . . . . )
115. The robber forced the cashier to hand over the money. (The cashier . . . . . )
116. The remark was so unexpected that she didn’t know what to say. (It was . . . . . )
117. You’re the worst guitarist in the world. (No one . . . . . )
118. It was a waste of time writing that letter. (I needn’t . . . . . )
119. ‘Let’s check everything once more’, said the man in chief. (The man in chief suggested . . . )
120. Although the fish appears to be harmless, it is quite dangerous. (Contrary . . . . . )
121. The students really appreciate the teacher’s sense of humour. (What . . . . . )
122. It’s acknowledged that Vietnam had a complete control over SARS from the very early stage of the epidemic. (Vietnam is . . . . . )
123. He didn’t remember anything about it, and neither did she. (He forgot . . . . . )
124. We couldn’t have managed it if our father hadn’t encouraged us. (If it . . . . . )
125. I wish I had applied for that job. (It is a . . . . . )